Search This Blog

October 16, 2012

Knit Until There's a Cure

As you probably know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  This is a touchy subject for me.  Touchy in the fact that my aunt on my dad's side of the family...the aunt I was closest to, died from breast cancer.  Plus my namesake died from breast cancer right before I was born.  I wouldn't have the name Nancy, if she survived the cancer.  My first American Sign Language teacher survived breast cancer twice, and my mom's cousin also survived breast cancer.

Breast cancer has made an impact in my life, so I was going to design a pattern and post it for breast cancer awareness month, but I felt that the Tit Bits pattern posted on Knitty did more justice than I could ever do.  Especially the story at the top of the pattern.  If anything, just read the story!

Then after you've seen the pattern, and read the story.  Check out where the pattern originated from, http://www.titbits.ca/

I hope that within my lifetime, we find a cure to breast cancer.  Seeing my aunt go through chemotherapy, and the cancer refusing to regress. Seeing my aunt giving up...it was heart breaking.  I cried.  I cried a lot.  I still get teary eyed thinking about it.

So until we find a cure, we will knit for those who have had mastectomies, to give them a chance have some normalcy in their lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment