Search This Blog

October 18, 2012

Crochet--The 1st Row

Sometimes, it's confusing on where to insert the hook for that first row.

Here's my tip: when you count your chains, count the top loop.  So when you insert the hook, insert it in the top loop.  I tried helping a woman with this the other day, and I forgot to tell her this.  I was telling her to insert the hook in the top, and she was inserting the hook in the bottom...so our counts were off.  I felt awful because I realized this too late.

So I'm posting this, in case she sees this, or if there are other people who have this problem.

The left column of pictures is for lefties, and the right column is for righties.

For my sample, I just did a basic single crochet row.

Step 1) make the amount of stitches you want, plus one.  I want 10 stitches, but you need one more (for single crochet) so that the first stitch is at the proper height.


Step 2) insert the hook in the 2nd chain and single crochet.  Remember, you're counting the top loop only.



Step 3) Insert hook in the next chain for your next stitch. If you're having trouble seeing exactly where the next chain is, look at the stitch you just made, the stitch you just made will be wrapped around the loop of the chain.  For a single crochet, I think they look like little legs of the stitch.  Click the photo to enlarge it and get a better look at it.


Step 4) continue step 3 until the end of the row.


Now, say you're working on a shell stitch.  What does that look like?  How do you do that?

You follow the same steps, just count the top loops for your stitches, and insert in the desired stitch.

The basic shell stitch is:
1) chain a multiple of 6 plus 2
2) single crochet in the 2nd chain from the hook
3) skip two chains, 5 double crochets in the next chain (aka, the 3rd chain after the stitch)
4) skip two chains, single crochet in the next chain (aka, 3rd chain after the stitch)

5) repeat step 3

6) repeat step 4

Keep repeating steps 3 and 4 until the end of the row.  End with step 3 (with a single crochet in the last chain).

A row of two shells, looks like this:


0 comments:

Post a Comment