Search This Blog

September 18, 2012

My First Stitch Pattern: A Net Stitch

The first stitch I ever learned, the twisted half double crochet, was also in the first stitch pattern I ever learned, and the woman who taught it to me called it a net stitch.  Now, I have looked for this pattern for years, in so many books, magazines, and on the net.  Even if I take into account that the twisted half double isn't a "real stitch" and substitute it with a half double, I still haven't found it anywhere.

But I like the looks of this stitch, so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

The Pattern:
chain a multiple of 4

Row 1) sc in 2nd ch from hook, ch 1, sk next ch, twisted half double in next ch, ch 1, [sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 1, sk next ch, twisted half double in next ch, ch 1] repeat to end.  Turn (you should have the ch 1 after your last twisted half double on the hook).

Row 2) [sc in the twisted half double st, ch 1, twisted half double in the sc, ch 1] repeat to end.  Turn.

Repeat row two until you reach the desired length.



When I was learning this stitch, getting used to it, I had a mantra going on in my head, "Tall, short, tall, short, tall, short, tall, short......."  In other words, sc in the tall stitches, twisted half double in the short stitches.  Just don't forget to ch 1 between stitches, and you'll be fine.


Here's a pic of me 7 years ago, making an afghan  using this stitch.  This pic takes me back down memory lane.  Many a "Stargate: Atlantis" audio commentaries were watched during the making of that afghan, and I was so proud when I was done.  After all, it was the first afghan, and biggest project I had ever made by that point.

And then, like most the things I make, I gave it away.

**sigh**

0 comments:

Post a Comment