Search This Blog

September 4, 2012

Make it Your Own


So, I've been wanting to knit a kerchief for awhile now to keep dust and whatnot out of my hair.

The only pattern I had was from the Stitch 'N Bitch book by Debbie Stoller, but the pattern in the book was written in a garter stitch (where you knit every row).  And I didn't really want the texture of a garter stitch.  I wanted something that suited my tastes more.

But, alas, I didn't have a pattern that fitted what I wanted exactly.  So, I do what I always do--alter the pattern.

I hardly follow patterns, never really have.  I've always just used patterns as a basic reference more than anything.

But when you alter a pattern, you have to take into account the reasons for why the pattern was originally written that way.  There are consequences to altering a pattern, but don't be afraid to try it.  So, why was this kerchief pattern written in a garter stitch?  Just like crochet, certain knitted stitches tend to curl, and the stockinette stitch (the stitch I wanted to use) is one of those curling stitches.  So, in order to keep my stockinette stitch, and not have the sides curl, I kept the garter stitch on the edges, then had the stockinette stitch in the center.

But I didn't want to just stop there, I wanted to have a purled ripple effect on the bottom.  Since I was keeping the garter stitch on the edge, I knew I could add this because I was already knitting the stockinette stitch in the body of the piece.  So, by just mapping out when to purl via my knitting graph paper I made my ripple effect.

Note, in the picture you see the stockinette stitch, and the ripple effect at the base, but the single crocheted edge will be covered in Thursday's post!

And there you have it, how you can alter a pattern to make it your own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment