Search This Blog

September 11, 2012

Knitting vs. Crochet

In a previous post, I kinda covered this concept of knitting vs. crochet, but I forgot to add the most important bit of comparison!

Knitting: It's stuck on the needles and you don't know what shape the piece will really take until you bind off.  For instance, take this picture right here:
If I were to bind off right now, at this stage of the piece, it would ripple, but you wouldn't really know that unless a) you were able to visualize it, b) you've experienced it before, or c) all of the above.  You do all that work binding off the needles, and then you see it ripple on you and you think, "crap, I didn't want that."  You have to frog it and get it back on those dang needles.

This is my biggest pet peeve with knitting--you don't really know how it's going to turn out until it's a grrrr issue to get it back on the needles.


Crochet: It's not stuck on the hook, so you always know what you're getting as you're doing it.  You don't have to rip out multiple rows because you realized you goofed...usually it's just a few stitches.  And it's no big deal to rip out the stitches, unless you really dislike the excess yarn in your lap from the stitches your ripped out.

With crochet, it's "what you see is what you get."  And that's why I'm a crocheter who knits.  That's why I add crocheted borders to knitted pieces if I goofed.

Crochet is easier to manipulate than knitting because you don't have to bind off to see what it'll look like.

Knitting looks more professional (in my opinion), which is why (I think) clothes are more knitted than crocheted, but it's a whole lot easier do your own thing in crochet than knitting because it takes less planning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment