Search This Blog

May 2, 2012

Curling!

No, the title isn't about the sport (though I do enjoy a good curling match!) it's about how the edges of a crocheted piece can curl inwards.  This has been an inner battle I have had ever since I learned how to crochet--me vs. single crochet!

meet exhibit A

See what I have to deal with?  I have tried different things in order to solve this little dilemma without blocking the project.  I've tried:

  • turning the piece, then chaining
  • chaining, then turning the piece
  • making sure the chain is extra loose
  • taking the hook out of the loop, turn, then re-insert the hook from the opposite end
  • changing the direction I turn


And I've looked in books, and online to find a solution.

What did I find that worked?

Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Zero.  Zilch.

The search lasted 8 years until I just gave up.  Blocking is the only solution for this issue.  Either finger pressing (which doesn't completely get rid of it) or blocking (which changes the fabric quality).

0 comments:

Post a Comment