Search This Blog

April 2, 2012

Designing a Pattern-Part 1

So, when I was trying to fall asleep, I had an epiphany for a new pattern, inspired by the PS3 game Journey.  I decided to do what I always do when I'm designing a pattern, draw a picture.  I got out my handy dandy sketchbook and drew away till midnight.

Thus, part one of creating my Journey pattern (drawing a sketch) was complete:

Now, you might be asking, "Why do I need to draw a picture?"  Well, here's why:

1) from my picture I discover the basic shapes I need to create in order to make my little guy
  • I know that the legs need to be cones, the body is a rectangle, and head is another rectangle, decreasing/increasing for the neck with points, or "ears" at the top (to keep the shape of the hood)
2) I know the basic proportions in order to create my little guy
  • the 3" on the left side of the picture means that my guy from feet to shoulders was three inches tall, and the 1"to the right of the head means that the head is one inch tall.  So, I know that the ratio of body to head is 3:1 (so I want the head to be a third of the body)
3) crocheted fabric doesn't "flow" very well and doesn't have a lot of movement, so I decided to knit the robe, hood, and scarf.
  • from the picture I discover that the robe needs to be a cone, with an even amount of decreases.
  • the scarf needs to be flat, so a stockinette stich
  • and the hood comes in at the neck, and has an open hole for his little face.  So, then I think of how I can make that hole.
And that's it for part one.  Next step, creating the body.

0 comments:

Post a Comment